IDEAL FOR EVERYONE
We may be biased, but we do think that the Glenorchy Centre and the Wirksworth area do offer something for everyone! Here's a short list of just some of the things you'll find within 15 miles of the centre:
Cycle hire is available from Middleton Top and Carsington Water. Whilst you're at Carsington Water you could also take part in sailing, windsurfing, kayaking or canoeing. Or experience the River Derwent by canoe from Matlock.
With architecture, industrial heritage, transport history and Derbyshire scenery you'll be spoilt for choice.
We can't think of many modes of transport not found in the local area.
- Ecclesbourne Valley Railway - diesel and steam services, connecting with national rail services at Duffield
- Steeple Grange Light Railway - 8-inch gauge line on a branch of the old Cromford and High Peak Railway. Ex-industrial diesel, battery-electric and petrol locomotives
- High Peak Trail - Once the Cromford and High Peak Railway, with some remaining features
- Cromford Canal - From Cromford Wharf
- Crich Tramway Village - tramway history
- Heights of Abraham - Derbyshire's only cable car
- Peak Rail - Steam service from Matlock (connecting with National Rail services) to Rowsley
Gardens and stately homes
As well as the annual 'hidden gardens and courtyards of Wirksworth' there are many local stately homes and gardens open to the public.
- Chatsworth - the award winning house and gardens
- Haddon Hall - English Tudor country house
- Kedleston Hall - 18th Century manor and parkland (National Trust)
- Lea Gardens - specialist nursery generally open from March to July
Wirksworth has plenty of industrial heritage to explore, from its lead-mining and limestone past. Stoney Wood is now a local nature reserve, reborn from an old limestone quarry.
Other local heritage includes the string of mills along the Derwent Valley.
Wirksworth is home to many local artists and is host to the annual Wirksworth Festival in September.
Permanent art installations include the unique StarDisc, a 12-metre diameter black granite star chart.
Besides the local shops and markets you will also find some unique shopping opportunities:
- Masson Mill - outlet centre
- Arkwright Mill - gift and craft shops
- De Bradelei Stores - discount prices on designer brands
- Scarthin Books - unique secondhand bookshop in Cromford village
- Denby Visitor Centre - factory shop, including seconds
- Matlock and Ashbourne - market town shopping