LARGE GROUP ACCMODATION IDEAL FOR WALKERS
The Glenorchy Centre is ideally situated for walkers, with local 'round Wirksworth' routes as well as access to national walking paths.
A few minutes walk in any direction from the town will find you in the rolling Derbyshire countryside, with Black Rocks, Middleton Top, Alport Heights and Carsington Water as easy destinations. There are numerous local walk guides available to download:
- Wirksworth-Middleton Top - 4.5 mile circular walk [PDF]
- Wirksworth-High Peak Junction - 4.5 mile circular walk [PDF]
- Stone Centre walks - 7 walks near the National Stone Centre
For those wishing to link up with national trails, Wirksworth provides easy access to three of them:
- High Peak Trail - accessed at Black Rocks or Middleton Top
- Midshires Way - Alderwasley and south (connecting to High Peak Trail to the north)
- Limestone Way - Matlock, Bonsall, Brassington
If you prefer flatter walking, the High Peak Trail, Tissington Trail, Cromford Canal and Carsington Water provide more a leisurely way to enjoy the local scenery.
Finally, there are plenty of opportunities for cyclists, on the High Peak and Tissington Trails, at Carsington Water as well as plenty of steep road stretches (try the Wirksworth to Cromford Road for starters!)
Walking and Cycling Links
Peak District National Park
Guided walks and events.
Local branch of The Ramblers.
Visitor centre, giftshop and cycle hire.
High Peak Junction
Start of the High Peak trail and access to Cromford Canal.
Walking and cycling at Carsington Water.